Saving Your Property After The Flood
April 17th, 2020
After a flood occurs, one of your biggest concerns after the restoration of your structure is the restoration of your belongings. A flood in a basement or anywhere in the home can wreak havoc on all of your property, causing a great deal of stress regarding what can possibly be salvaged and what will need to be taken as a loss. The right restoration professionals can ensure the most property possible can be saved, allowing you to get back to life as usual as quickly as possible.
The unfortunate reality is that not all property may be able to be salvaged, meaning you will likely take something of a loss after a flood occurs. Knowing what can likely be salvaged, and what is unlikely to be salvaged, can help you to get your claims process started just a bit faster.
What Can And Can’t Be Salvaged After The Flood
Our restoration professionals work hard to salvage as much as we can, including getting your structure back to a safe an habitable place once again. Property that may or may not be able to be salvaged after a flood includes:
- Solid wood furniture – Any solid wood furniture you have in a flooded space has a good chance of being salvageable. These pieces can often be sanitized, sanded, and refinished before they’re returned back to you good as new. One thing to watch out for is warping, however, and careful professional drying techniques must be used.
- Upholstered furniture – Upholstered furniture salvaging can be tricky and expensive. For antique or highly valuable furniture, investing in the full sanitization and reupholstery may be worth your while, but this may not be the case for all furniture. Salvaging upholstered furniture should be viewed on a case by case basis.
- Appliances – Unfortunately, appliances that have suffered flood damage should never be used again. Many of these contain water-sensitive motors and electronic components, which can become dangerous after water damage occurs. Appliances damaged in a flood should be replaced.
- Electronics – Like appliances, electronics are likely a loss after a flood. Using electronics that may have been damaged by water can lead to potentially dangerous hazards.
- Paper valuables – Some paper valuables cannot be replaced, and it takes a professional restoration company to salvage as much as possible after a flood occurs. Photographs, documents, certificates, and other paper documents should be given to your restoration professionals who will use expert techniques to ensure the best chance at saving them.
Taking Care Of You After The Flood
Whether your basement took on a couple of inches of water, or you’ve experienced a full flood in your home, our professionals are here to take care of you. We will not only make your structure safe but work to save as much of your belongings as possible. If you’ve experienced a flood of any kind, we’re here to help. Call us at Bio Star Services to see what our professionals can do for you and your property today.